The following sites are designated within the Antarctic Treaty System as Historic Sites and Monuments (HSM). The purpose of this designation is to clearly identify sites and objects within the Antarctic Treaty Area which should be preserved and protected.
At each site there are notices in English, French, Spanish, and Russian indicating that it is scheduled for preservation in accordance with the provisions of the Antarctic Treaty.
USE THESE LINKS FOR SITE NUMBERS OVER 19: 20-39 / 40-59 / 60-84
1 Flag mast at South Pole. 90°S. Flag mast erected in December 1965 at the geographic South Pole by the first Argentine Overland Polar Expedition.
2 Rock cairn and plaques on Ongul Island, Prins Harald Kyst. 69°00'S, 39°35'E. Rock cairn and plaques at Syowa Station (Japan) in memory of Shin Fukushima, a member of the 4th Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition, who died in October 1960. Some of his ashes repose in the cairn.
3 Rock cairn and plaque on Proclamation Island, Enderby Land. 65°51'S, 53°41'E. Rock cairn and plaque erected in January 1930 by Sir Douglas Mawson to commemorate the landing by a party of the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition, 1929-31.
4 Bust and plaque at ‘Pole of Inaccessibility.’ 83°06'S, 54°58'E. Station building to which a bust of Vladimir I. Lenin is fixed, together with a plaque in memory of the conquest of the Pole of Inaccessibility by Soviet Antarctic explorers in 1958.
5 Rock cairn and plaque at Cape Bruce, Mac. Robertson Land. 67°25'S, 60°47'E. Erected in February 1931 by Sir Douglas Mawson. The cairn and plaque commemorate the landing on Cape Bruce of Sir Douglas Mawson with a party from the British, Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition of 1929-31.
6 Rock cairn and canister at Walkabout Rocks, Vestfold Hills, Princess Elizabeth Land. 68°22'S, 78°32'E. Rock cairn erected in 1939 by Sir Hubert Wilkins. The cairn houses a canister containing a record of his visit.
7 Stone and plaque at Mabus Point, Queen Mary Land. 66°33'S, 93°01'E. Stone with inscribed plaque erected at Mirny Observatory (Russia) in memory of driver-mechanic Ivan Khmara who perished on fast ice, 21 January 1956.
8 Monument sledge and plaque at Mabus Point, Queen Mary Land. 66°33'S, 93°01'E. Metal monument sledge with plaque at Mirny Observatory (Russia) in memory of driver-mechanic Anatoly Shcheglov who perished in the performance of official duties, 25 February, 1962.
9 Cemetery on Buromskiy Island, Queen Mary Land. 66°32'S, 93°00'E. Cemetery in which are buried Soviet, Czechoslovak and German citizens, members of Soviet Antarctic Expeditions, who perished in the performance of official duties on 3 August, 1960.
10 Observatory at Bunger Hills, Queen Mary Land. 66°16'S, 100°45'E. Magnetic observatory at Dobrowolski Station (Poland) with plaque in memory of the opening of Oazis Station in 1956.
11 Tractor and plaque at Vostok Station. 78°28'S, 106°49'E. Heavy tractor with plaque at Vostock Station (Russia) in memory of the opening of the station in 1957.
12 SITE DELISTED (2003) - COMBINED INTO SITE No. 77. (Cross and plaque at Cape Denison, George V Land)
13 SITE DELISTED (2003) - COMBINED INTO SITE No. 77. (Hut at Cape Denison, George V Land)
14 Ice cave at Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay, Scott Coast. 74°54'S, 163°43'E. Site of ice cave constructed in March 1912 by Victor Campbell’s Northern Party of the British Antarctic Expedition, 1910-13. The party spent the winter of 1912 in this ice cave. A wooden sign, plaque and seal bones remain at the site.
15 Hut at Cape Royds, Ross Island. 77°38'S, 166°07'E. Hut built in February 1908 by the British Antarctic Expedition, 1907-09, led by Sir Ernest Shackleton. Restored in January 1961 by the Antarctic Division of New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. Site incorporated within ASPA 157.
16 Hut at Cape Evans, Ross Island. 77°38'S, 166°24'E. Hut built in January 1911 by the British Antarctic Expedition 1910-13 led by Captain R. F. Scott. Restored in 1961 by the Antarctic Division of New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. Site incorporated within ASPA 155.
17 Cross at Cape Evans, Ross Island. 77°38'S, 166°24'E Cross on Windvane Hill erected by the Ross Sea Party, led by Captain Aeneas Mackintosh, of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-1916, in memory of three members of the party who died in the vicinity in 1916. Site incorporated within ASPA 155.
18 Hut at Hut Point, Ross Island. 77°51S, 166°37'E. Hut built in February 1902 by the British Antarctic Expedition, 1901-04, led by Captain Robert F. Scott. Partially restored in January 1964 by the New Zealand Antarctic Society, with assistance from the United States Government. Site incorporated within ASPA 158.
19 Cross at Hut Point, Ross Island. 77°50'S, 166°37'E. Cross erected in February 1904 by the British Antarctic Expedition, 1901-04, in memory of George Vince, a member of the expedition, who died in the vicinity.
SITE NUMBERS: 20-39 / 40-59 / 60-84