USE THESE LINKS FOR OTHER SITE NUMBERS: 1-19 / 20-39 / 60-84
40 Bust, grotto, statue, flag mast, graveyard and stele at Hope Bay, Trinity Peninsula, Antarctic Peninsula. 63°24'S, 56°59'W. Bust of General San Martin, grotto with a statue of the Virgin of Lujan, and a flag mast at Esperanza Base (Argentina). Erected by Argentina in 1955; together with a graveyard with stele in memory of members of Argentine expeditions who died in the area.
41 Hut and grave on Paulet Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 63°34'S, 55°45'W. Stone hut built in February 1903 by survivors of the wrecked vessel Antarctic under Captain Carl A. Larsen, members of the Swedish South Polar Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjöld, together with a grave of a member of the expedition and the rock cairn built by the survivors of the wreck at the highest point of the island to draw the attention of rescue expeditions.
42 Huts, magnetic observatory and graveyard at Scotia Bay, Laurie Island, South Orkney Islands. 60°44'S, 44°41'W. Area of Scotia Bay, Laurie Island, South Orkney Island, in which are found: stone hut built in 1903 by the Scottish Antarctic Expedition led by William S. Bruce; the Argentine meteorological hut and magnetic observatory, built in 1905 and known as Moneta House; and a graveyard with twelve graves, the earliest of which dates from 1903
43 Cross at ‘Piedrabuena Bay', Filchner Ice Front, Weddell Sea. 77°58'S, 38°48'W. Cross erected in 1955, at a distance of 1,300 metres north-east of the Argentine General Belgrano I Station (Argentina) and subsequently moved to Belgrano II Station (Argentina), Nunatak Bertrab, Confin Coast, Coats Land in 1979
44 Plaque at Nivlisen ice front, Prinsesse Astrid Kyst, Dronning Maud Land. 70°43'S, 11°40'E. Plaque erected at the temporary Indian station ‘Dakshin Gangotri’, Princess Astrid Kyst, Dronning Maud Land, listing the names of the First Indian Antarctic Expedition which landed nearby on 9 January 1982.
45 Plaque at Metchnikoff Point, Brabant Island, Antarctic Peninsula. 64°02'S, 62°34'W. Plaque mounted at a height of 70 m on the crest of the moraine separating Metchnikoff Point from the glacier. Erected by members of the Joint Services Expedition, 1983-85, to commemorate the first landing on Brabant Island by the Belgian Antarctic Expedition, 1897-99, led by Adrien V. de Gerlache de Gomery. The earliest known photographs of Antarctica were taken during this expedition.
46 Buildings and installations at Port-Martin, Terre Adélie. 66°49'S, 141°23'E. All buildings and installations of Port-Martin Base constructed in 1950 by the 3rd French expedition and partly destroyed by fire during the night of 23-24 January 1952.
47 Building on Île des Pétrels, Terre Adélie. 66°41'S, 140°01'E. Wooden building called ‘Base Marret’ where seven men under the command of Mario Marret wintered in 1952 following a fire at Port Martin Base.
48 Cross on Île des Pétrels, Terre Adélie. 66°41'S, 140°01'E. Iron cross on the North-East headland of the Ile des Pétrels, Terre Adélie, dedicated as a memorial to André Prudhomme, head meteorologist in the 3rd International Geophysical Year expedition who disappeared during a blizzard on 7 January 1959.
49 Pillar at Bunger Hill, Queen Mary Land. 66°16'S, 100°45'E. Concrete pillar erected by the First Polish Antarctic Expedition at Dobrowolski Station (Poland) in January 1959 for gravity measurements.
50 Plaque at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°12'S, 59°01'W. A brass plaque bearing the Polish Eagle, the national emblem of Poland, the dates 1975 and 1976, and the following text in Polish, English and Russian. “In memory of the landing of members of the first Polish Antarctic marine research expedition on the vessels ‘Profesor Siedlecki’ and ‘Tazar’ in February 1976”. This plaque, south-west of the Chilean and Soviet stations, is mounted on a cliff facing Maxwell Bay, Fildes Peninsula, King George Island.
51 Grave and cross at Admiralty Bay, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°10'S, 58°28'W. Grave of Wlodzimierz Puchalski, surmounted by an iron cross, on a hill south of Arctowski Station (Poland). Puchalski was an artist and producer of documentary nature films who died on 19 January 1979 whilst working at the station.
52 Monolith at Fildes Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°13'S, 58°58'W. Monolith erected to commemorate the establishment on 20 February 1985 of Great Wall Station (China) by the First Chinese Antarctic Research Expedition.
53 Bust, monolith and plaques on Elephant Island, South Shetland Islands. 61°06'S, 54°50'W. Bust of Captain Luis Alberto Pardo, monolith and plaques on Point Wild, Elephant Island, south Shetland Islands, celebrating the rescue of the survivors of the British ship Endurance by the Chilean Navy cutter Yelcho displaying the following words : “Here on August 30 th, 1916, the Chilean Navy cutter Yelcho commanded by Pilot Luis Pardo Villalón rescued the 22 men from the Shackleton Expedition who survived the wreck of the ‘Endurance’ living for four and one half months in this Island”. The Monolith and the plaques have been placed on Elephant Island and their replicas on the Chilean bases Capitan Arturo Prat (62o30'S, 59 o49'W) and President Eduardo Frei (62o12'S, 62o12'W). Bronze busts of the pilot Luis Pardo Villalon were placed on the three above mentioned monoliths during the XXIVth Chilean Antarctic Scientific Expedition in 1987-88
54 Bust on Ross Island. 77°51'S, 166°40'E. Bronze bust on black marble at McMurdo Station (USA) commemorating the polar achievements of Richard E. Byrd, erected in 1965.
55 Buildings and artefacts on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, Antarctic Peninsula. 68°11'S, 67°00'W. Buildings and artefacts at and near East Base of the US Antarctic Service Expedition, 1940-41, and the Ronne Antarctic Research Expedition, 1947-48.
56 Remains of hut and environs at Waterboat Point, Danco Coast, Antarctic Peninsula. 64°49'S, 62°51'W. The remains and immediate environs of the Waterboat Point hut. It was occupied by the UK two-man expedition of Thomas W. Bagshawe and Maxime C. Lester in 1921-22. Only the base of the boat, foundations of doorposts and an outline of the hut and extension still exist. It is situated close to the Chilean station ‘President Gabriel Gonzáles Videla’
57 Plaque at “Yankee Bay"(Yankee Harbour), MacFarlane Strait, Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Near a Chilean refuge at 62°32'S, 59°45'W. Commemorative plaque at ‘Yankee Bay’ (Yankee Harbour), MacFarlane Strait, Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands. Near a Chilean refuge. Erected to the memory of Captain Andrew MacFarlane, who in 1820 explored the Antarctic Peninsula area in the brigantine Dragon.
58 DELISTED 2003 – NO LONGER EXISTS. (Cairn with plaque Whalers Bay, Deception Is, South Shetland Is.)
59 Cairn on Half Moon Beach, Cape Shirreff, Livingston Island, South Shetland Islands. 62°28'S, 60°46'W. A cairn on Half Moon Beach, Cape Shirreff, Livingston Island, South Shetland Islands and a plaque on ‘Cerro Gaviota’ opposite San Telmo Islets commemorating the officers, soldiers and seamen aboard the Spanish vessel San Telmo, which sank in September 1819; possibly the first people to live and die in Antarctica.
SITE NUMBERS: 1-19 / 20-39 / 60-84